In the desire to achieve the best out of Ramadaan, we fret and worry about our actions and how they affect our fast. This posts seeks to put to rest many of such fears and also highlight the things that break the fast, and the things that do not. In sha Allah.
THINGS THAT NULLIFY THE FAST COMPLETELY
- Deliberately eating or drinking
- Having Sexual intercourse
- Intentionally vomiting
- Not having the intention to fast
- Menstruation and post partum bleeding
Of the above, only deliberately eating, drinking and having. Sexual intercourse during the day of Ramadan warrants kafarrah; expiation. The expiation is freeing a slave, fasting two consecutive months or feeding sixty people (Bukhari and Muslim). For the rest however, it's sufficient to repay the fast. Allah knows best.
THINGS THAT DO NOT NULLIFY THE FAST
- Cleaning the teeth with a tooth stick
- Unintentionally eating or drinking due to forgetfulness
- Cooling oneself with water due to severity of the heat
- Rinsing ones mouth and nose but without putting the water in too deep
- Cupping, for those who are strong
- Kissing or touching ones spouse for he who has the ability to control his actions
- To still be in a state of sexual defilement in the morning
- The use of kohl, henna, injections, oil etc
And Allah knows best.